PO Box 73144, Puyallup, WA 98373    Email


Updated:  06/13/2022
   Return to FAQ topics
Please refresh or review this web page for up-to-date information
     This page provides Q&A for frequent questions asked by Crystal Ridge residents.

    Please read the FAQ below to find an answer or solution to your problem.  If you have a specific question about your situation, please contact the Board at  support@navigatecm.com.
It's just past midnight, our windows are closed and I can still hear music blaring and car engines revving.  What is the noise policy in the neighborhood?


(1)  The specific noise ordinance for Puyallup is:  Municipal Code—Noise 6.16.050, 2(f).
  http://www.codepublishing.com/wa/puyallup/  (Enter Search Code "6.16 Noise Control")
(also see Reference 1 text below)

(2)  CCR, Article XII, "Land Use Restrictions", Section 3(a) states: 
(a)  No noxious or offensive activity shall be conducted on any Lot, nor shall anything be done or maintained on the Properties which may become an activity or condition which unreasonably interferes with the rights this Declarant gives other Owners to use and enjoy any part of the Properties.  No activity or condition shall be conducted or maintained on any part of the Properties which detracts from the value of the Properties as a residential community.  No untidy or unsightly condition shall be maintained on any property.  Untidy conditions shall include, but are not limited to, publicly visible storage of wood, boats, trailers, mobile homes, recreational vehicles, disabled vehicles of any kind whatsoever, and landscaping which is not properly maintained.


   Loud noise, music, partying, engines revving, loud talking, laughter, etc. can be an occasional problem during the summer.  If it is a once-in-a-while occurrence, then perhaps a resident or neighbor can overlook it one time considering the day and time of the week (i.e. weekday or weekend, your work schedule, etc.). 
   Police (253-841-5415) -However, if a resient feels it is out of control or unacceptable, then the best approach is to call the police to file a complaint.  If you don’t know the exact address of the house (or car) where the noise is coming from, the police may not be able do anything about it but they may be available to check it out..

     Board - If this is a frequent problem, then contact the Board at support@navigatecm.com to explain the problem, give the address and explain the frequency of the nuisance.  The Board can then contact the homeowner to help resolve the issue.  If it continues, then the Board will consider sending a violation letter for noxious activity (per Ref 2 above) but with no guarantee that it will stop the problem.  

Reference 1 text:

6.16.050 Public nuisances and disturbance noises.

(1) Public Nuisance Noises. It is unlawful for any person to cause or allow to be emitted a noise which has been determined to be a public nuisance noise as defined herein.

(2) Public Disturbance Noise. It is unlawful for any person to cause or any person in possession of property to allow to originate from the property, sound that is a public disturbance. No sound source specifically exempted from this chapter shall be a public nuisance noise or public disturbance noise in so far as the particular source is exempted. The following source of sound shall be public disturbance noises:

(a) Frequent, repetitive, or continuous noise made by any animal which unreasonably disturbs or interferes with the peace, comfort, and repose of property owners or possessors, except that such sounds made by animal shelters, or commercial kennels, veterinary hospitals, pet shops, or pet kennels licensed under and in compliance with applicable regulations shall be exempt from this subsection. Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, if the owner or other person having custody of the animal cannot, with reasonable inquiry, be located by the investigating officer, or if the animal is a repeat violator of this subsection, the animal shall be impounded by the animal control officer or his designee, subject to redemption in the manner provided by Chapter 8.04 PMC;

(b) The frequent, repetitive or continuous sounding of any horn or siren attached to a motor vehicle except as a warning of danger or specifically permitted or required by law;

(c) The creation of frequent, repetitive, or continuous noise in connection with the starting, operation, repair, rebuilding, or testing of any motor vehicle, motorcycle, off-highway vehicle, or internal combustion engine in any residential zone so as to unreasonably disturb or interfere with the peace, comfort, and repose of owners or possessors of real property;

(d) The use of a sound amplifier or other device capable of producing or reproducing amplified sounds from the property of a business operation which is intended to either attract the attention of the potential customers to the business or to communicate with employees who are at extended portions of the business property. Prior to January 1, 2010, any such sound amplifier, loudspeaker or pager shall not violate the levels set forth in WAC 173-60-040, except the provisions of WAC 173-60-040(2)(c) shall not apply to sounds created by sound amplifiers or other device capable of producing or reproducing amplified sounds originating from Class A EDNA, Class B EDNA or Class C EDNA, when such sounds are received by residential zones. As of January 1, 2010, no such sound amplifier, loudspeaker or pager shall be audible to the human ear beyond any perimeter of the subject business property;

(e) The making of any loud and raucous noise which unreasonably interferes with the use of any school, church, hospital, sanitarium or nursing or convalescent facility;

(f) The creation by use of a musical instrument, whistle, sound amplifier, stereo, jukebox, radio, television, or other device capable of reproducing sound and raucous noises which emanate frequently, repetitively, or continuously from any building, structure, or property, such as sounds originating from a band session, tavern operation or commercial sales lot;

(g) Public disturbance noise from portable or motor vehicle audio equipment:

(i) While in park areas, residential or commercial zones, or any area where residences, schools, human service facilities or commercial establishments are in obvious proximity to the source of the sound, it is unlawful for any person to negligently cause, make or allow to be made from audio equipment under such person’s control or ownership the following:

(A) Sound from a motor vehicle audio system, such as a radio, tape player or compact disc player, which is operated at such a volume that it could be clearly heard by a person of normal hearing at a distance of 50 feet or more from the vehicle itself; or

(B) Sound from portable audio equipment, such as a radio, tape player or compact disc player, which is operated at such a volume that it could be clearly heard by a person of normal hearing at a distance of 50 feet or more from the source of the sound.

(ii) This section shall not apply to persons operating portable audio equipment within a public park pursuant to an event under a permit issued by the city. (Ord. 2784 § 1, 2004; Ord. 2365 § 2, 1993; Ord. 2242 § 1, 1990).

     Return to FAQ topics